Do you have a reference for this? I was looking at linking dynamically against the AnkhSVN libraries, but the Sleepycat GPL license prevents this if your application is not GPL'd. I'm fairly certain that any binary linking (dynamic or static) will invoke the "viral" aspects of the GPL.

Jordan, Tom wrote:

-----Original Message-----
From: Martin Aliger [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] Sent: Friday, October 10, 2003 4:39 AM
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Re: [nant-dev] Licensing

You cannot write a NAnt task that uses parts of NAnt's API and distribute that task under a license other than GPL (think of Subversion or NUnit distributing a NAnt task for example).

This issue has been addressed repeatedly by the FSF in the case of C++.
As long as you are using a shared object (.so) or a dynamic link library
(.dll),
you are permitted to use the API under (L)GPL without effecting the license
that
your work is distributed under.  However, static libraries (.lib) would
impose
the (L)GPL on your work since it is now "binarily" inseperable from the API.

Extending this to C#, you can use (L)GPL assemblies with impunity.

The only sticking point is when AbstractIL in used.
Just like C++ templates where the instantiation of a templated API is
compiled into the containing works and inseperable from it, an API
based on AbstractIL may be dealt with in the same manner.
Since we don't currently use AbstractIL, there isn't a problem.

So, yes, you can compile and distribute your own Nant tasks as an
Assembly.  All this without opening the code to your taks.

------------------------------------------------------- This SF.net email is sponsored by: SF.net Giveback Program. SourceForge.net hosts over 70,000 Open Source Projects. See the people who have HELPED US provide better services: Click here: http://sourceforge.net/supporters.php _______________________________________________ nant-developers mailing list [EMAIL PROTECTED] https://lists.sourceforge.net/lists/listinfo/nant-developers