Hello Martin,

MA> Yes, the echo would show: "Prop: 2". Our primary use is to report
MA> unit tests that fail at the end of a lengthy build process. We
MA> have nearly 100 C# projects, plus several non-managed C++. Our
MA> build system compiles the code for a particular project and then
MA> compiles and runs its unit tests. Rather than have the build stop
MA> if a test fails, we check the modified property, and create a
MA> report about the failure. All such failures are then reported at
MA> the end of the build. Hmm. I sometimes feel very simmilar. NAnt is
MA> missing some mechanism how to control output states from tasks.
MA> on-failure is good but sufficient only in basic scenarios. Maybe
MA> every task should create some output something (xml dom would be
MA> great) with detailed report what has been done and what failed (in
MA> case of failonerror="false").
 Detailed error reporting (e.g. in the case of unit-tests) is quite a
 tough problem to challenge in 0.8.3 if you have a rapidly growing
 project and you need your build script to automatically adapt to the
 changes and additions to the projects. I'd already proposed onfail
 mechanism for tasks and targets (in the beginning of October, as I
 recall), but I was advised to try to implement try/catch/finally task
 which is a bit more flexible. I asked if anyone really had a need for
 it, and got no replies, and as the "onfail" patch satisfied my needs,
 I gave up implementing try/catch.

 Probably, it is the time to think over once again how this bit of
 functionality should be done. Also, the <record> task needs some
 improvements to enable logs with different "granularity" to be
 written.

--
Best regards,
 Ivan                            mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]