FYI.

Based on the information from Gerry, I spend the past week trying to 'build
NAnt with NAnt'. The first order of business was to understand how the whole
thing works. After diving around at the code (adding more comments along the
way), I focused on NAnt.build...

(Long story short)
After I determined the main tasks in the .build file, I just kept running
'nant' (command). Repeated, I keep getting errors similar to the one below:

    Unknown function 'nant::scan-probing-paths'.
    Expression: ${nant::scan-probing-paths('nunit.framework.dll')}

I could not find any information regarding this function on the website.
Although I could see the function in the latest trunk, but trunk is not a
(real) release. So in the end, to replicate an 'average' NAnt user, I decided
to install the last official release (0.86-beta1) and use that as the basis for
the build. After replacing all instances of 'scan-probing-paths' and fix it
with the correct path, the 'build' target finally works. I verified the changes
both locally and on TeamCity
[http://teamcity.codebetter.com/project.html?projectId=project69]

Next steps (prioritized):
* The 'test' target also compiles and runs, but a few tests are failing. Need
to investigate.
* Look at nightly.xml to generate nightly releases.
* Look at release.xml to generate official releases.
* Generate additional docs / comments to help others in future.
* (Request from Leszek) Investigate 1) Mono and 2) Linux configuration. I am
thinking of openSuse Build Service, but needs more investigation?
[https://build.opensuse.org/]

Regards,
Charles

http://www.flickr.com/gift/