|
You've heard the hubbub about the recent release of Windows XP Service Pack 2. The controversy surrounds the fact that it does break some applications, including even
Microsoft's own enterprise software. But that's not a Windows Server issue... or is it? When enterprise apps break, it matters to you, even though Windows Server 2003 Service Pack 1 may not see the light of day until next year sometime. I'll explain what the fuss is all about with Service Pack 2.
I don't know about you... And I mean that sincerely, I don't know anything
about you, and frankly, that's part of the problem we've been having these past few years. If you think about it, we don't talk much anymore. In lieu of direct communication and personal problem solving, we've managed to erect new and unique technological barriers between ourselves. A few weeks ago, I was in a Home Depot where I noticed a husband and wife with a new pair of Nextel walkie-talkie phones. One was trying to contact the other about, I think, the different grades of paint; the other was looking for plastering material, so they were in two different areas of the store. The husband couldn't make out what the wife was saying to him, so he started marching up and down the aisle, trying to locate some mysterious "sweet spot" that may have been built-in to various Home Depots across the nation, where Building Materials can be picked up
more clearly from Paint on a walkie-talkie. As I walked further in the store and found myself in Building Materials, I noticed the wife was doing the same thing: marching frantically from spot to spot, shouting "Hello...Hello!...Sam!...Sam?" into this little open lid as though it were a vortex into a deep, dark, eighth dimension where distances are all short and life makes sense. Throughout all points in the entire store, you could actually hear both parties in this frantic search, along with their persistent little B-flat tripleted beeps for which Nextel is literally seeking copyright
protection, like two lost quasars drifting aimlessly into a universe of entropically distributed home improvement accessories.
For at least ten minutes, this goes on, each member looking for the appropriate spot to contact the other member. What they don't realize during this frantic shouting into two-inch-square dimensional vortexes (there's a sale on those at Home Depot, by the way) is that, at least three times that I saw, they passed right by one another without noticing because they were so busy trying to find the spot where they could hear one another through the phone. At last, they actually bump into one another. And what do they do? Do they each remember the questions they had? No, they trade phones and resume their frantic march.
Technology, it would appear, has made our lives more complex. File that under "D" for "Duh." Fortunately, we're in the business of publishing books that serve the function—if not to help remove some of that complexity—at least to point it out to you so you know that, at least, we know about it too, and we're not stuck in some eight-dimensional vortex or black hole of incommunication, some "Nextel cup," if you will, without an event horizon of possible escape. So here to address the problem of technological complexity and how it makes life ever more complex, is Richard Murch with the first installment of his series, Managing Complexity in IT.
Last week, we talked about IPsec, and how encrypting everything by default can be a major step toward truly reliable security for your network. This week, Andrew Mason presents Network
Security and Virtual Private Network Technologies, which demonstrates how Cisco Systems utilizes IPsec in the implementation of a modern VPN. Conceivably, properly encrypted packets can actually increase signal reliability when voice or audio traffic is carried over a VPN. I can think of at least one couple who could use a little encryption about now. Perhaps Home Depot can start installing virtual hot spots in some of its most trafficked aisles.
|