Oh, I know we shouldn't specify replacement intervals in the Class Rules.
We don't for wire, and we shouldn't for synthetic either.  Furthermore, I
wouldn't want any legal liability by specifying one period, and then someone
having failure under a shorter period.

The interest in replacement period really just affects the economics of
changing over to synthetic.  Recommended wire replacement is what - every
five years?  The seemingly knowledgable Samson rep I met at Key West was
very insistent that the synthetics be replaced every year.  Sounds like some
experience is stretching that to two years is safe.  When people consider
the costs of changing over, they also need to include more frequent
replacement.  I don't think under any conditions it would be wise to push
use of synthetics to five years between replacement.

For mast up storage and use, it is really hard to beat the hifield and wire
combination.  Nothing could be simpler, and wire stretch is non-existent.
When we make the 28 hour tow to Key West, we store the shrouds in the
floats.  When I tow for four hours or less, I just pull each of them
forward, and strap them to the mast.  I think Gleason came up with this
method, or one of the Multihull Source boys, and it has worked well for us.
But I also realize that some may prefer the synthetic system, and since it's
a majority rules thing, Members can decide what the Class Rule shall be! :-)

Michael Zotzky

-----Original Message-----
From: David Paule [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Sent: Tuesday, October 26, 2004 4:45 PM
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Re: Synthetics and precourt fittings




> Am really quite interested, as I suspect this will come up again, in
> the proposed Class Rule changes for the 28's.
>
> Michael Zotzky



Mike,

Offhand, I'd suspect that it needn't be part of the Class Rules. Replacement
intervals can be left to the owner. He knows perfectly well that a failure
will cost him more than the race.

If he doesn't, he will, soon enough.

Dave





Yahoo! Groups Links








Yahoo! Groups Sponsor
ADVERTISEMENT
click here
Web Bug from http://us.adserver.yahoo.com/l?M=315388.5526708.6599542.3001176/D=groups/S=:HM/A=2372354/rand=630526419


Yahoo! Groups Links

Reply via email to