I am planning to build an application which relies heavily on a directed
graph (similar to a social graph).

There is no doubt that Neo4j will be required, but I'm having trouble
deciding if I will also require an RDBMS.  Is there an easy way for me to
get a feel for this, other than just building the thing with Neo4j, and
introducing the RDBMS if/when I reach a choke point?

Some details of the planned application are as follows:

   - Designed for 10's of thousands of users, if not 100's of thousands
   - Business logic implemented using MVC (Laravel)
   - Some mobile traffic, some desktop, access via an API
   - Most DB activity will be reading from the graph
   - Not a lot of reporting required

There will be around 8 types of entities that I will definitely implement
as node types.  The primary focus of the application is the relationships
between these nodes.  If I incorporate an RDBMS, it will require around 30
tables for the remaining entities and their relationships.

Any advice?