Hi,

Thanks for all the comments!

Will -

Not entirely sure about the lifetime - I suspect it's something to do
with the large cathode area I've got (as a result of the way I made
the cathode form steel sheet rather than wire). I guess the lifetime
could be improved a lot by using neon (smaller atom mass, hence less
sputtering) but I'd need to get hold of some first ;-)

Marcin/John - I've sent you a pm regarding the tubes

Yes, I saw Claude Paillard's video a while back and it was truly
inspiring! The induction heating bakeout is probably essential for
high-vacuum tubes (triodes etc) - I don't know about higher-pressure
tubes like cold cathode devices. I was hoping that it wouldn't be
so critical.

That's a good point about the gas pressure - bit counter intuitive!
You'd think that lower pressure would be better because you've
got fewer atoms hitting the surface, but of course they'd be striking
at higher energies. A nixie book did say that it is best to use the
highest pressure possible, to avoid sputtering (it also gives you a
good reservoir of gas). Trouble is, you often need to lower the
pressure
in order to get a uniform cathode glow at a reasonable tube current.

Mercury seems to have a huge impact on lifetime as well - Bylander's
book "Electronic Displays" has a graph of lifetime with and without
mercury, and mercury addition is something like 20 times better. But
I'd rather not be messing around with mercury!

Cheers,

Lindsay