On 11-05-02 01:10 AM, David Forbes wrote:

I have several dozen NL5870L tubes that have 2002 date codes, put on
there by REL when I ordered a batch after first conceiving the 2-digit
Nixie watch.

In Receiving tubes, the markings were put on at the time of packaging, as were the date codes. In the US, many tubes have a "EIA Source Code" which many folks assume indicates the maker, but which in fact indicates the party who was responsible for Warranting the tube.

(not wanting to get too far off topic, but GE-USA sold receiving tubes to distributors with or without a warentee, with the colour of the GE marking indicating which was which)

The date code of course was intended to limit the length of the warentee, and so whould have to reflect the time when shipment was expected rather than the actuall manufacturing date.

GE late production Military Receiving tubes often have two date codes, side by side, manufacture and packing. (on those the EIA number of 188 for GE is replaced by GE's CAGE code)

--
Charles MacDonald                 Stittsville Ontario
cm...@zeusprune.ca              Just Beyond the Fringe