Hi Everyone
I'm building a multiplexed Nixie clock with an Atmel XMEGA256A3B for
brains and a K155ID1 as cathode decoder/driver. The problem is that
the XMEGA is modern and wants 3.3V supply while the K155ID1 needs 5V.

The simplest solution I can think of is supplying both chips with 3.3V
and hoping for the best. Altough I don't read russian, I can tell from
the data sheet that the logic levels should match surpricinly well,
but I cannot tell whether the rest of the circuit functions properly
with a lower than expected supply voltage. I have limited capabilities
to test the circuit properly (with nixies, cathode driver and
microcontroller etc.) and therefore I wonder if anyone at Neonixie has
used the K155ID1 like this before. I guess that the question is pretty
generic really; is it possible to run a (early generation) TTL circuit
at 3.3V reliably? Keep in mind that I don't require very quick
switching, kilohertz are just fine here.

The next step would be to add a 5V-regulator just to feed the driver.
In that case, how/do I need to protect the outputs of the
microcontroller? I have looked into the 'standard' schematics for TTL
and it seems to me that a TTL input with a 5V supply would tend to
pull its input high, possibly destroying a 3.3V output. Is series
resistors sufficient or are transistors needed too?

Another thing I just spotted is that the XMEGA have very versatile
outputs, offering totem-pole, open-source and open-drain modes. Would
a wired-and or wired-or be helpful for level-shifting?

Kind regards
Anton

-- 
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups 
"neonixie-l" group.
To post to this group, send an email to [email protected].
To unsubscribe from this group, send email to 
[email protected].
For more options, visit this group at 
http://groups.google.com/group/neonixie-l?hl=en-GB.

Reply via email to