This is what I did as well on my WWVB clock. At night, when the clock tries
to sync, it tuns off both the HVPS and the nixie mux (to get as electrically
quiet as possible). You're still going to want to get it away from the other
devices that are nearby QRM that you can't turn off via clock (computers,
televisions, etc, etc, etc).

Nick: That's neat, I didn't know you worked at a radio telescope. Pretty
cool.

My frame of reference:
I am an amateur radio operator, but I also have a wife. So, that means I
can't setup antenna farms in the backyard or else I'll wake up to find
they've all been cut down and also maybe the locks have been changed. (well,
I _do_ have a 2m/440 j-pole on the back deck, but that hardly counts) So, I
content myself with running attic antennas. Currently, I have a G5RV-Jr and
a G7FEK up there. The G5RV-Jr is a centerfed doublet and it picks up all
KINDS of QRM from the house. I can watch the S-meter jump on my FT-840 or
Swan 500c when someone turns on a television or computer in the house. So,
yes. Electronics (especially large CRT's or anything with fast digital
switching) generates plenty of radio noise and if you are trying to receive,
your first step is to turn off all the QRM you possibly can.

-Adam W7ATJ