Interesting.
Yes the grid frequency drops when the generating station is
overloaded, the gensets slow down and the output frequency depends on
ratational speed, theres an online gizmo for the uk that shows the
current frequency, it says at the lower end 'overloaded'.
This side of the pond you can get little metal can line filters, I've
robbed a couple from scrap computers, you might get somewhere with one
of these.
I work in a manufacturing plant, we work with polymer and use lots of
power, harmonic distortion and reactive power issues are a problem, we
have huge filters and power factor correction systems, anyway
distortion can produce odd effects, I cant explain exactly what would
happen in a clock to make it run slow but I can beleive it!.