IMO even the original meaning of the word would have included that the
'invention' should be something which is not obvious to other people
skilled in the same field. For example, going back 2000 years, I could
have "found out" a road that leads to Rome and claim this as my
"invention". However, there were many roads that lead to Rome and of
course someone has put them there for very obvious reasons, so
although "i found out this road" it is not an invention.

Same counts for nixie tubes, it is quite obvious you can use them to
make a clock, but much less obvious to make a watch as you need a HVPS
and cramp the whole lot in a very tiny enclosure. Since there was no
nixie watch before Jeff made one, you can claim that as his invention.
In the same group falls this pocket scope watch, it being the first
one ever built, you can call that an invention. But I was not
referring to the watch as such, I was focused on how the CRT displayed
the numbers. Composed Lissajous segments, but as per Martin and Nick,
this method was invented long before the scope pocket watch.

I do agree it is indeed very difficult to place a border line as to
what is and what is not an invention. Maybe it was easier in Roman
times as modern day inventions are indeed mainly based on previous
inventions. But then, even the good old Trebuchet is most likely
derived from the more ancient Shadoufs....

Michel