On 06/17/2012 06:07 AM, jb-electronics wrote:

> Thanks :-) I have some zinc-carbon batteries here (AAA size, quite
> small) that I will cut open to extract some nice carbon rods that I can
> use for forming the glass. I will use one of these rods for the purpose
> you described: Flaring the small diameter tubing before sealing it on.

You can use stainless steel welding rod for that purpose too.  Just make
sure it doesn't get hot enough for the glass to start sticking.

> This will be my first investment after the needle valve. See the model I
> am interested here:
> http://www.arnold-gruppe.de/nc/glas-quarzglas/brenner/tischbrenner/productdetail/151167.html

That looks like some pretty nice kit.

>> If I were serious about making true Nixie tubes, I'd go through
>> alibaba.com and find me a Chinese machine shop to make a set of dies to
>> make tube bases like they  used to.  They work amazingly cheap.  The one
>> that extrudes our induction heater cases prices CNC machine work to the
>> cases at $1 an hour.  No, I didn't miss any zeros.
>
> How exactly would you proceed making - say - 13 pin tube bases? You need
> a lot of temperature for that and precisely formed tools. So far this is
> nothing I can see myself doing in the near future. I know a person who
> makes his own (borosilicate glass) sockets, I might be able to adopt the
> principle some day.

If I were given the assignment today to make a machine to make tube
bases, this is how I'd proceed.  First I'd find an old tube with the
same base.  I'd cut it open and grind down the base to just where the
seal joint was made.  That would result in just the base molding.

Next I'd find a shop with a 3D coordinate digitizer and have the base
digitized.  In the past I've usually been able to find one at a nearby
university.  If not, something that simple probably wouldn't cost over
$75 dollars to have done commercially.

I'd call that up in Solid Works or whatever 3D CAD program I had