> How exactly would you proceed making - say - 13 pin tube bases? You need a
> lot of temperature for that and precisely formed tools. So far this is
> nothing I can see myself doing in the near future. I know a person who makes
> his own (borosilicate glass) sockets, I might be able to adopt the principle
> some day.

The tool part isn't too tough, just carve it out of graphite with pin recesses.
 CNC machining would be the way I'd go, but back in the day it
was done by reading scales on handwheels, and obviously it could still be done
that way.  Once you have your graphite mold/pin holder,
get some nice 3-part pins and lead glass tubing of an appropriate diameter.
Lead glass is the way to go here - it liquifies enough to
gravity flow into molds like this.  Slice off rings that have sufficient glass
to make your bases, drop pins into your mold, put the glass ring
around them, and melt the whole shebang.  For extra niceness, you can have an
upper mold half that forms little mounds of glass over
the pins themselves and flattens the rest of the base into a disc.  Let it
cool, and violà!  The first one will be a real bear, as you have to
make the molds determine the amount of glass, temperature to use, etc.  But
once you have the molds made and the procedure down,
you can knock out additional bases fairly easily.

- John