I'll try to reply to most of the pints in one post to prevent
cluttering the thread up, but first of all - you are all a bunch of
feature creeps! ;)

I did consider one large coil but couldn't see it being possible to
provide even coverage and avoid hotspots or overdriving the displays
if it wasn't fully loaded - it may be possible but I didn't explore
that.

Power efficiency, the loaded drivers deliver 70%+ of the input to the
display, the figures only look bad as unloaded they still use quite a
bit of power. Probably 10W could be saved by switching off the unused
squares but it adds to the complexity and would prevent another idea I
have from working.

Any kit will be exactly that, you'll be thrown a bunch of machined
paxolin discs and a roll of copper wire - reminds me of a clock case
'kit' I bought many years ago which consisted of some paper stencils
and 2 sheets of plywood..... well it won't be that bad :).

As for modifications that would turn it into an electronic chess game
I've had the following ideas, along with a few hints offlist from
Dekatron42:
.
The base coils are currently driven in rows of eight, they're also fed
in rows of eight via 8x 2R2 fusible resistors. If I rearrange them to
be supplied in rows and driven in columns this should work:

The starting positions are known, or at least can be assumed.
The controller will need to keep a map of the piece positions and
track each movement.

When a piece is picked up or put down there is a change in current
through that row resistor, the controller can detect it then scan
through the columns to find out which square has changed. As all the
pieces are mapped it will know what was on that square and which
squares will be valid for it to reappear on.

When an increase is recorded across one of the resistors it can scan
again to see which square is now occupied. If it detects it's on a
valid square the game continues, if not it will stay in a loop waiting
for a legal move to be made or end the game depending on programming.

For the computer to make a move it will indicate it by only driving
the coil under the piece to be moved and the destination square.
As you know which moves are valid for that piece it will be easy to
find that square and the piece will light up. Again if it's not moved
to the correct square the controller can detect it and halt the game
until it is.

As all the pieces are mapped by the controller it doesn't need to
identify them and swapping them for another piece or attempting to
cheat will only halt the game or confuse the human player.

To make this work I'll need to change the current row/row arrangement
to row/column, add ADC lines from each resistor and add a 12v switch
to each row of 8 coils. It'll need a larger microcontroller and a few
spare pins will be needed to allow external programming. I really
don't want to end up bogged down with more modifications though so if
I do make these up as a kit I'd just supply the board with the above
mods, basic always-on software and a means to program it externally.
It's then up to the end user to do the rest.

- and chess piece Nixie tubes would be just incredible expecially if
they're made as plugin replacements.

Tony.