> Top project - very nice - very cute - we like this!

I realise you have 8x8 + 2x16 sets of coils - couldn't you use a single
coil for the board - some sort of convolution to get a more even field
maybe? There are a lot of "wireless power" notes and practical projects
around - design of xmit coils on planar surfaces is an interesting
subject...

As for identifying the pieces, how about RFID tags? Put them all in the
starting position, press "learn", then all the pieces are registered with
the correct type and virtual colour (it doesn't really matter which side is
white or black - just that one lot of 16 is different from the other lot).
Move any piece to a new square and it'll be easy for the board to know what
it is. Remember this in an eeprom each move.

When you re-power the board, you can read back what should be where....

Really impressed with what you've done.

Nick