On Tuesday, December 4, 2012 8:09:47 PM UTC-7, Raymond Weisling wrote:

> I feel it is only reasonable that I defend myself from the poison pens
> that gathered.

Hello Ray.
Hopefully I can help provide some insight into the damage to the members of
the neonixie-L forum, and the (formerly) eager prospective customers of
your products.

As the founder of the neonixie-L; you were held to a high standard. After
all, it was you who put forth the effort to contact and attract many techs
and tinkers, following your establishing the original Yahoo list. Your
guidance and support of the group helped in developing many new ideas that
eventually found their way to both hardware and software. Some in one-off
projects, and others into volume commercial products.  Mine were influenced
as well. You were highly respected.

So, these forum members and others were always eager whenever when you had
something to offer.

Many of the members understood that you had some financial difficulties. An
expat living in a place where even reliable internet was a challenge at
times.
I'm certain that if you had put out a request for financial help, that many
members of the forum would have generously helped. No questions/strings
attached.
And so I thought I was helping to a degree when you'd approached me to sell
a new variation on your designs.
I'd been busy with life and work, and was inactive with anything neonixie
related.  And later discovered there were already some delivery problems
brewing.

At the same time I'd sent you money for your products, I had an opportunity
surface to purchase a *large* quantity of B7971 nixie tubes.  I thought,
hey -perhaps I could help Ray move a few hundred of his kits by working as
a US based distributor for the nixie tubes.  I'll approach him after I
receive the clocks, and tell him the good news. I was doing OK, it was a
chunk of change, although eventually I'd recover it by selling them.

The clocks never arrived.  And now I was sitting on a few thousand B7971
tubes.   I was gutted.

Rumors circulated in the forum membership that you'd deleted some critical
messages from members/customers who'd not received their kits.
Complaints began appearing on the forum. I posted in one too.  One early
member even defended you, who coincidentally, had not sent you any money.
It was almost unbelievable that Ray, of all folks, would intentionally
accept money and not deliver. Some of the members considered you a trusted
friend. Myself included.

Other members took it even worse. Some felt betrayed. And it wasn't the
money.

And then you surfaced again in '08 to sell a few clocks on ebay.  Wow.
A few more complaints were posted to neonixie-L about these ebay sales.
Even as an absentee owner, the neonixie-L forum membership had been rotting
to some degree because of your actions. A new victim complaint would still
surface now and then.

Later, the list was moved to Google under new ownership. Some of the early
original members/victims joined. They'd all moved on, although some are not
as trusting as they once were.

It appears you opened some old wounds by coming here to solicit bids to
sell your FLW / GeekKlok IP. And stating that you had lost your undelivered
customer list (indicating those funds will not be used to make the
customers whole) tends to suppress any empathy from the remaining forum
members who held you in high regard.

I see Pete Hand had posted. That's a rare event. It's nice to know you did
eventually ship his kit.
It could be difficult to sell a tainted product, even with a historical
value. The new owner might have some 'splainin' to do if they surface here.

Best of Luck to you Ray.

Jeff