There are a lot of smart people on this group so I thought I would ask for
some help.  We have a stray cat that we have adopted. He is an indoor
outdoor type of cat. My personal experience is if they started outdoors
they are very unhappy if you try to keep them in all the time.  Well the
problem is there are some other strays that beat up on him and get at his
food. My temporary solution was to leave the window to our stair landing
open and Skink could jump up about 5 feet and get in through the window.
Then he could sleep on the landing if we were not home and eat as well.
Well we have two problems, 1) it is now pretty cold(The stairs lead to our
front door so that area is not heated.) 2) The big problem is I came in
tonight and the wild stray that has been going after Skink had him
cornered on the landing. Needless to say I wasn't too happy, the last
thing I need is a tom spraying on the landing!  And no, I am not going to
shoot the other cat as I live in town and I don't shoot cats etc.
  My idea was to make a automatic cat door that would open for only one
cat.  I was thinking that if I made a cat collar out of light gauge
copper wire with male and female spade connectors this would form a
single turn shorted loop. (The wire would be light gauge so if he got
caught the wire would break.) The cat door would be a partly formed with
a square wood tube that the cat would enter with a solinoid latched door
at one end. On the outside of the wood cat tunnel I would wind some
turns of copper wire that would be tied into an oscillator circuit. The
shorted turn would either kill the oscillator or shift its frequency
allowing the door to open.
  I can build just about anything electronic or mechanical and have lots
of parts on hand but I am not very skilled on scratch designed circuits
like this. Would somebody here be willing to help me with some pointers.
 I can work from an hand drawn schematic.  I should be able to supply
power from a wall wort if needed.
                                                     Thanks
                                                   Tim Laing