On Friday, April 5, 2013 8:01:34 AM UTC-5, GastonP wrote:

> Zitt,
>    The problem is not that it is an open drain or a CMOS (it is a CMOS and
> I put it as so in my first email). The problem is that the base MPSA42
> conected directly to the output effectively shorts the output to ground
> unless you put some resistance into that base circuit.
> You say you tried putting a resistor in the base of the transistors to no
> avail. To avoid unpleasant sudden malfunctions, let the resistors there.

Gaston,
Thanks for the feedback. While valid (regarding shorted A42s); this turned
out not to be the cause of the problems.

More debug seemed to point to the 4555 1to4 decoder circuit.
I pulled the tristate buffer (u4) and solder bridged the outputs of the
1to4 decode straight to the transistors thru a 9.1k resistor.
The display does the same thing without U4.

This points to U3 (cd4555) being the culprit.

Now; given I’ve already verified 7 digit emulation with the arduino which
doesn’t work in the machine; seems to be a clue.
I’m leaning toward the output of the MPU being TTL compatible; but not CMOS
compatible. I don’t think the signal to the displays is meeting CMOS high
requirements for digits 5&6. According to my mpu schematics; the digit
enables are driven directly by the output of a 6821 PIA.

So; next step is going to be to wire in an oscope to see what D5’s levels
are.

This pretty much sums it up:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/52968060@N00/8632599249/sizes/o/in/photostream/

PeakToPeak; my displays (digit enables) are only getting 1.6V for a high.
Well below the cmos “good” for a 1. This is measured at R44 and R43 closest
to the connector on stock displays.

This is the reason why my Nixie design isn’t working. I can design around
this with either a transistor or some other translation logic; just not
sure why the value is so low.
I see why it works on stock displays as all we need is for the high to be >
~0.7V to turn on the digit enable transistors in the original design.

Other pinheads confirmed their machines were also outputting ~1.8V for a
high instead of the 5V I was expecting.

I did some "dead bug" rework to the existing display;
basically epoxying two SMT 2N3904s to the top side of U3. I cut some traces
and soldered a 20K ohm pull up between VCC and the collector of the
transistors. Emitters were tied to ground. Bases were connected to the
series resistors currently present in the schematic.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/52968060@N00/8638427889/sizes/o/in/photostream/

The goal here is to work out the kinks in the design so they can be
incorporated into a FAB B board and be relatively confident the design will
work out of the box.

Because the BJTs are single transistor inverters; I needed to rewire the
input to U3. I wanted to reuse the existing CD4555B chip already present to
keep the design simular. Turns out that by swapping A & B inputs vs the
schematic; the following boolean logic become obvious:
U3A Q1 = !B*A = D5
U3A Q2 = B*!A = D6
U3A Q0 = !B*!A = D7
Remember that when the MPU is driving A5 or A6 high; the BJTs invert that
to be an active low. So the boolean math makes it logical.

The result (finally):
http://youtu.be/c7Q9Ry00e2o

Here are some pictures of the display installed in my Bally Star
Trek<http://pinside.com/pinball/archive/star-trek-dataeast>machine:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/52968060@N00/8638427991/sizes/o/in/photostream
http://www.flickr.com/photos/52968060@N00/8638427933/sizes/o/in/photostream

Known issues:

1) Digits are too light when running in multiplexed mode (in a real
machine); plan to drop the anode resistor to ~2.7k from 22k to brighten the
digits. Not a good idea for non-pinball machines which aren't multiplexing
the digit enables; but should be fine for more machines.

2) Need to "fix" the native 7 vs emulated 7 digit jumper selector given the
need to invert D7 in native mode.