Last word on the trigger clock, from me anyway:

Upping the anode resistors to 43k didn't work as expected. I finally
settled on the optimum value at 30k. I swapped the 50 minute tube with its
associated nixie driver tube. The ring counted just fine but the '5' never
went out - the tube was WAY too sensitive and had to be changed out.

Most unexpectedly, it now runs just fine in the light and in the dark
without any UV stimulation. It seemed to be getting a bit sensitive, so I
removed the LEDs as an experiment. None of the rings has missed a step in
over a week. Perhaps after being run continuously for three or four weeks,
the tubes aged and settled down.