Hi,

TM maintanance is quite expensive (bearings), but it lasts quite long
time. If You want to use polyphenyl ether (Santovac?) You will have to
pay quite a lot of for it. The same with cold trap - liquid nitrogen
on the site necessary (or cooling device).. But as I mentioned, the
oil molecules are not a problem for nixie manufacture. I use bake out
in oven followed by induction heating of the internal parts (no
bombardment), so even if there is some oil, it will break down.
10E-10 mbar is a dream, but it needs a NASA-like lab ;-)

I guess they used diff pumps, at least Tesla did. I found that the
pressure in small audio tubes just before seal-off was 10E-2 mbar
(quite poor vacuum), then the getter was flashed and got the tube to
~10E-7 torr. Big transmitting tubes were made on different machines,
pumped long times to proper vacuum (10E-6 mbar) using cold traps..

Dalibor

> On Wednesday, 11 February 2015 11:28:07 UTC, Dalibor wrote:
>>
>> Nick: Hi, I use TM because I was lucky to get few for reasonable price
>> from local bancrupted research company, together with all the accessories.
>> Diff pump are much cheaper, they need practically no maintenance (when used
>> right way), but they it takes much longer time to start it up and also the
>> cool down. TM is more flexible in this way and saves a lot of time,
>> especially during development. And TM pump also provides oil-free operation,
>> which is good, but essential matter in nixie tube making.
>

> Hi Dalibor - thanks for the feedback. I have no doubt that a TM is a lot
> faster & cleaner, but they do spin ever so fast and still need
> maintenance...
>
> Diff pumps with suitable low vapour-pressure oil, e.g. a polyphenyl ether,
> which is changed/maintained properly should be fine - no oil should get back
> to the glass if you get the sequencing right and the bombarding (or
> equivalent) should remove any potential organic matter - I can't see that
> more than a few molecules should ever get back to the tube... Modern
> multi-stage diffusion pumps with a cold-trap will reach 10x10-13 atm, which
> is far far below what we need -
>
> When nixies were commercially manufactured, did Burroughs/National etc. use
> TM or diffusion pumping?
>
> Cheers
>
> Nick

> https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/neonixie-l/20d654ef-5a7e-4769-b84c-285fa968442b%40googlegroups.com.