If you want to be sure that the high voltage power part is as good as it
can be, then I would replace the most relevant parts, if you haven't
already replaced them recently:

- L1 (inductor)
- M1 (mosfet)
- Q4 (transistor)
- D2 (diode)
- C6 (capacitor, but you already replaced it, so I wouldn't do it again).
- C2 and C7, just in case.

I would especially do this if you are sure that the mosfet used to be
clearly much cooler before (which, from your description of it being so hot
that it smells, sounds like it would be the case). Just get some flux, some
desoldering wick, and you'll have it fixed in a fun hour or two.

I agree that it's annoying to have to pay $6 in shipping each time: but you
can order these parts together - usually they're practically for free
anyway (excl. shipping). Alternatively, try aliexpress.com, it's a great
source of cheap components, often with free shipping (sort by price and
select free shipping). But since it's shipped from China it can take a week
or two to arrive. (that said, i've ordered countless of components through
it, at least 50 separate shipments, and they always arrived). Sometimes on
that site, you cannot order just 1, but you can order 10 or so for next to
nothing. I wouldn't recommend it for all components though - capacitors
especially can fail soon when they are low quality brands, but as far as
transistors and resistors, there's not too much that can go wrong with
those.

It's true that you can also get a new kit, but then your nixies won't
easily fit to it - i.e. the board connector will be different, so you'll
have some issues there. If you're willing to take the tubes out, or get new
ones, then you can of course use any kit (most nixies are compatible with
any kit).

Good luck!