Kiran,

A sawtooth waveform would point to a bad C1.  A waveform of a much higher
frequency would be from an oscillation and more superimposed on the DC.

As long as you are going to do some soldering anyway, you should just replace
the 7805 with the drop-in switcher that you received from Tayloredge.  It is
MUCH more efficient.  You could also replace C1 at the same time since you are
already working on it.  Saves you the work later if it is deteriorating.
Bypass caps are also a good practice for circuits with high frequencies.  Many
modern board layouts that work with much higher frequencies (probably not in
your clock) build-in circuit traces that are engineered to act in the same
manner as a bypass but it won't hurt anything in a clock design to add the
bypass caps to a power rail.

Many years ago, during my time with Texas Instruments, I sold hundreds of
thousands of the little 78xx and 79xx series regulators into a lot of different
applications.  They were a new and novel solution for cheap and dirty
regulation and efficiency was not a big deal back them.  Today, the small
drop-in replacements for the 78xx series are a much more modern and elegant
solution when there is a small power budget.

Jeff Walton