I thought I remembered you saying somewhere in this thread that replacing
C6 fixed the problem, but then it reoccurred? Yes? And did you not have
your large heat sink on the 7805 at that time that seemed to be causing its
own issues? Now that you've remove it and if you've got another
electrolytic this value you might give it a shot rather than throw in the
towel. These clocks are problematic and C6 has always been the problem with
the 3 I have. my $.02