you are correct.  it is perfectly safe to use dual primaries (or
secondaries) for isolation.  The wire is triple-coated with enamel,
plastic and another layer of enamel.

While I have a multi-thousand dollar Topaz 10kVA Ultra-isolator on my
development bench, we require something cheaper for production testing
of our inductin heaters.  Dual primary dry type transformers fill the
bill just fine.  Each new transformer is HiPotted at 2500 volts winding
to winding for 10 minutes before being put into service.  Never had one
fail.

John

--
John DeArmond