Here's my opinion as Chief Engineer and majority owner of a company with
several products on the market.

*) Lose the solid state relays.  They will surely be failed in short
order the first time a service call is initiated.  HVAC guys like to
short low voltage wiring to look for power.  Faster than getting out a
meter.

*)  Lose the LED version.  The Nixies are the hook that justifies the
high price.  LEDs won't.

*)  Not a good KickStarter project.  They (the doners) tend to like big
projects.  Maybe one of the other crowsourced sites that cater to small
projects.

*)  I suggest using a quick flip etch and stuff house to assemble say, 5
A/T systems and get them out there to beta testers.  You MUST beta test.
 Our beta test policy is that the tester buys a machine at half price
and when the test is over, he gets a production machine at no extra
charge.  Another approach is to put them out at cost.  Either way you
recover your costs.

*) Consider putting it with SparkFun.  They have three ways of selling
your projects.

https://learn.sparkfun.com/tutorials/how-to-sell-your-widget-on-sparkfun

I have several pieces of ancillary bits and pieces that I'm about to
offer.  The first is a variable speed fan controller.  Stick the
stamp-sized board to a heat sink, connect 9 to 30 volts to the input,
connect a 15 volt or higher fan to the output and viola.  No noise
unless it's necessary to keep the sink at the setpoint.  We use this
controller in our Roy induction heater so the design is well-proven.
Therefore I'll probably go with option 1.

*)  Deal with and mock up/3d print the case first and get the approval
of several women of various backgrounds.  No only does the lady of the
house control what goes on the furniture in many instances, they almost
always control the thermostat.

Figure out how you're going to manufacture your enclosure if you go the
custom route.  I'm very unimpressed with the appearance of 3d printed
parts, even from industrial machines.  I can tell you all about getting
enclosures manufactured in China, for that's what we had to do to handle
the cost.

*)  Do a "design for manufacturing" and cost reduction pass across the
thing.  Those Dallas temperature sensors are nice but a forward biased
diode will do the same job for a tiny fraction of the cost.  You can
specify 4 wire telephone indoor plant wiring for the hookup and do a
Kelvin measurement to eliminate lead resistance effects.

Up until a couple of years ago I was seeing thermistors in extremely
cheap consumer goods.  Now I see diodes.

*)  Get hold of an ASHRAE handbook and learn how to properly implement
the outdoor temperature modulated algorithm.  Hint: Torrent :-)

*)  Also study the ASHRAE standard comfort map.  This maps temperature
vs humidity vs comfort.  The aim of your thermostat is not to control
temperature but to control comfort.

*)  To that end, you need a humidity sensor so you can properly
implement the comfort algorithm.

*)  You need outputs for de- and humidifiers for the same reason.
Particularly central humidifiers in the winter.  One can maintain
comfort at a much lower temperature if the humidity is kept high which
will save the owner a lot in energy costs.

Here's a concrete example.  Right now to keep my honey comfortable, the
house is at 79 degrees and 20% RH.  I'm about to re-install the
water-line-connected humidifier in my propane furnace. (I take it out
during the summer to prevent lint build-up).  I know that with 50%
humidity, she's comfortable at 69 deg.  Major savings in fuel.

*) contemplate the liability you're taking on.  A malfunction could
start a fire or let a house freeze up and burst pipes.  At least get a
personal liability rider on your homeowner's policy.  A megabuck's worth
of coverage is very cheap.

*)  Consider your engineering approach, particularly your software
approach.  Are you building self-checking and redundancy and other high
reliability techniques into your code?  Using the Arduino black box
library doesn't give me fuzzy feelings in this area.

*)  If you're going to make these in commercial quantities, consider
getting it listed.  We work with ETL (I have a grudge against UL and
their nasty politics).  Figure at least $5 large.

Well, that turned into an epistle!  Just some things to think about, though.

John

--
John DeArmond
Tellico Plains, Occupied TN