On 01/03/2016 10:37 AM, Keith Moore wrote:
> Perhaps open source it? If you want to make money, perhaps work out a
> license for the software.

Oh absolutely open source it.  Hardware and software.

Open source built Fluxeon (my old induction heater company) and now it's
building Tnduction (my new one).  We offered almost all our products as
open source.  Bare boards, kits and A/T boards.

I think we sold all of 5 bare boards.  The kits were a disaster.  People
CANNOT solder, nor can they read resistor color codes.  Or follow
instructions, for that matter.  And after they tried to build a board
using a Weller soldering GUN, they'd want free support.

We sold quite a number of A/T board kits.  Most of those sales resulted
in the sale of a Roy, our standard-bearer product.  Open source got us
started and it continues to contribute to sales today.

John

--
John DeArmond
Tellico Plains, Occupied TN