Hello Ten

> Another idea is to connect 4 tubes in series. Of course it will make a
> voltage gradient across tubes, but I plan to drive anodes at 50+V, so maybe
> it won't be visible - does anybody have any experience with driving
> filaments like that?
> A step-down converter sounds good, but I will be very space limited in
> this project.

I cannot answer all your questions. In my 4x IV-6 clock I connected
filaments in series, drove them DC and let the dropping resistor on the
ground side of the series. This way the filament of "last" IV-6 is about 1V
above ground so the condition for "totally off" is satisfied.

So: +5V ---- fil1 ---- fil2 ---- fil3 ---- fil4 --- R ---- GND

On my todo list there's a 6x or 8x display with IV-3 or IV-6. A PCB is work
in progress and I would like to insert extra pads to allow maximum
flexibility on filament driving: AC, DC, series, series/parallel.

HTH,
Paolo