On 03/15/2017 09:42 AM, Mark Moulding wrote:

> On Tuesday, March 14, 2017 at 10:02:40 AM UTC-7, Paul Andrews wrote:
>>
>> What is your opinion of this one:
>> http://www.ebay.com/itm/Open-source-Geiger-counter-kit-nuclear-radiation-GM-detector-tube-radiation-/161447070168?hash=item2596fec9d8:g:gFMAAOSwcu5UN4Pk

Glass GM tube equals low sensitivity.  The thick walls, necessary to
withstand the partial vacuum, will stop most betas, what you're likely
to encounter in the environment.  Gamma ray sensitivity will be low but
will be enough to detect the activity from a lantern mantle.

To measure exposure, what you're really interested in, one needs a large
volume energy compensated geiger tube or an ion chamber.  An ion chamber
is trivially easy to make - for years Victoreen sold an exposure meter,
the chamber of which was a styrofoam cup coated on the inside with
aquadag to make it conductive.

A smoke detector is an ion chamber.  A source is contained within the
chamber.  combustion products absorb ionizations, reducing the ion
current and triggering the alarm.

If you're interested in hearing clicks, the tube used in the old CDV-700
civil defense geiger counters will work. Very thin wall metal tubes.
Best is a pancake probe.  About $140 from Ludlum and others.

Look guys, this fear of environmental radiation is getting far out of
control.  There is ZERO risk from anything radioactive in the
environment unless you happen to eat the hand off a radium watch dial or
an Am-241 source out of a smoke detector.  Even then the risk would be
so low as impossible to quantify.

The old and discredited linear, no threshold theory that says that any
amount of radiation is harmful is perpetuated because it has been
monetized.  Lots of people are making lots of money "remediating" low
level radioactivity.

The evidence is overwhelming that low level radiation is actually
beneficial.  No different than chemical toxins such as arsenic or zinc
or chlorine.  Vital trace elements but toxic in higher concentrations.
This theory is called "radiation hormesis".

Here is an article I wrote during the Fukushima accident that explains
the difference.

http://www.johndearmond.com/2011/04/23/fukushima-the-high-cost-of-the-lnt-theory/

A Geiger counter is a fun thing to have around if it is sensitive enough
to detect anything.  I carry a pocket unit with the pancake probe's
window facing outward any time I go yard saleing, attend auctions or go
to antique stores.  I collect radioactive materials and I've hit some
bonanzas

I especially like to lay the counter on top of some radiophobe's granite
countertop.  The unit goes off-scale on the X1 scale.  Granite is quite
hot on the environmental activity scale.

As I demonstrate on my nuke page that I already posted, so is wood ash
from the fireplace.

We need to nip this radiophobia in the bud and worry about something
that matters.  Like how many Nixie tubes Dalbor can make :-)

John

--
John DeArmond
Tellico Plains, Occupied TN