I had an auction on E-Bay USA. They canceled my auction for a special low temperature thermometer because it contained mercury and thalium which they declared as hazardous and not shippable by any approved methods.   How did it get to me from England if it was not possible to ship it ? I live in Canada. They did not refund the listing price.   Ignorance and stupidity is widespread.

---------- Original Message ----------
From: Tomasz Kowalczyk <ten.ko...@gmail.com>
Date: June 23, 2017 at 1:51 AM

W dniu piątek, 23 czerwca 2017 04:37:23 UTC+2 użytkownik johnk napisał:
err, I think the point is NOT TO use the Global Shipping by selecting another category, because they DO open [some/all] packages. See various stories circulating. They obviously find it easier when the description tips them off - like the guy who lost his amplifier, NOT just the valves in it.

I bet they will stop handling anything with lead solder. [I had argument with local authority about disposal of colour TV CRT glass - it is lead glass. They had been screaming about the amount of lead being handled ! They treat it as if it is actually free lead or toxic free-salt/compound. Same with mercury. I don't know what lack-of science and chemistry is taught these days but it is totally pathetic!

Well, isn't anti-vaccines movement getting stronger nowadays? I think that if anti-vaccines or flat-earth are things in todays world, we need no explanation why someone CAN'T understand the concept of mercury being trapped inside a tube (which, if they handle the package as supposed, should never break), and even if it comes outside, it is many times smaller amount than in a thermometer - I bet you'd need to break an original box of 25 IN-18 tubes to get this amount of mercury!

When we live in an "advanced" culture it behoves us to know an amount of stuff. It can't be totally a Nanny State. Old episode of the Simpsons last night where they made a joke in a speech about "get a half-life" makes me ponder whether it just went straight over the heads of the majority of viewers. People tend to vote and politicians get to decide about waste dumps etc. How can "we" get the right answers when the voters are clueless about the issues. The Greenies and 'enlightened' pollies here in Oz have done a lot of damage over the years through being rather ignorant - just enough knowledge to be dangerous. Doesn't matter how good the science advisers are - the pollies get to set the terms of reference and the scope.
Reason for the above... a lead-in to this. That tube guy said he had been checking out the ebay setup with ebay guys.
How about someone who is a stake holder trying to chat with the global shipping ninnies?

I think the problem lies in education, and to be more specific - lack of ability to differ real knowledge from bullshit. The internet, while being a wonderful tool for work and learning (I was raised in the internet era and seriously, I can't understand how you were supposed to educate yourself at home without the internet!), is also a great place for stupid people and trolls. The biggest issue in searching for information is the ability to see what is a true scientific answer and what is made up by someone. I think that many people believe the latter one because the information is easier to digest than a full scientific report. It will sound logical, but many people won't see a big flaw in the logic of the non-scientist.