Pleasae be careful with the operating limits of the MOSFET... the part you
are using has a Gate-Source maximum voltage (Vgss) of 8 volts and in spite
of being zener protected, you should not routinely use that protection as a
design feature.
I'd say that this part is safe for this circuit when the input voltages are
lower than 7 volts. Other MOSFETS have higher Vgss that can be used to your
advantage. I.e. the BSS84 is also a PMOS but with a Vgss of 20 Volts.

Gastón

On Monday, October 2, 2017 at 11:02:40 PM UTC-3, Robert L wrote:

> A few nice things about this circuit...
>
> 1) It will work to slow start most any 5 - 12 V load (though possibly with
> component value changes).

<https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-3aZDh7W3s8U/WdLvocqhh5I/AAAAAAAAAXI/q50HrOVh9ZY9mkqPtd5aLjq_Svvt9gMKgCLcBGAs/s1600/ExtreameSlowStart%2B%2528Medium%2529.JPG>

Onward...
Bob