I encountered them while studying at Warsaw University of Technology. There
are still dozens of Meratronik multimeters being used there - mostly
because these are really idiot-proof and students won't destroy them :)
Having a manual range setting is also a bonus, because students can learn
about how the measurement is actually done. I doubt that the 5-digit
display was still useful, as these probably weren't calibrated for years.
I instantly fell in love with the orange glow and the way the digits are
not in one plane. I didn't know how these were called, but then... I've got
a message from my friend, that one of the institutes will be disposing old
equipment. It was not working as intended, but the displays were mostly
intact. I literally carried as much as I was able to carry - a V-541, a
PFL-21 and three C549As.  I didn't yet know which tubes are more worthy, if
I had the knowledge, I would take another C549A instead of PFL-21 ;)
Since then I am collecting tubes like a maniac - I snipe on internet
auctions alot and visit local scrap electronics market regularly (that's
where real deals can be found). I'm still studying and working at the same
time, so I made only one clock so far, but I'm getting closer and closer to
a solid base on STM32 microcontroller.
Right now I own about 300 nixies waiting for better future as clocks.