My story starts very similar to Jonathan's,

I was the sort of kid who took toys apart, rather than play with them.. at
the age of 6 my Dad would take me to the scrapyard and allow me to fill the
boot of the car with 'stuff' that I can take to bits.. scrapyards were
pretty good back then, you could find anything from scopes to random
military bits and even the odd car! One of the things I got was a
calculator the size of a suitcase and I never forget the strange glass
number tubes inside, this was back in the late 1970's.
I continued to tinker and take things apart, at the age of 9 I had about 12
TV sets in my bedroom all with the backs off and stacked up in a 4 X 4
pile, something about the smell of warm valve based electronics.. My
parents are both non technical and they just sort of shut the bedroom door
and let me get on with it.

Life, education, career and children then sort of got in the way until 2014
when kids had grown up, I had a secure well paid job and I just stumbled
upon Nixie tubes again, they came up as a random picture on google images
when I was looking for something, and it instantly came back to me the
calculator I took apart 40 or so years earlier! that was that, I wanted to
make a clock.. had no Nixies so found an old frequency counter on the bay
that had 7 of the GN-4 tubes inside, brought a kit and converted it into a
clock. Found it immensely satisfying and wanted to make another.. by a
stroke of luck I found another one of the same frequency counters on the
bay again and messaged the seller, he had 6 of them, all ex RAF surplus so
I sold my first clock and with the proceeds purchased all 6 of the counters
and then turned all of them into clocks.. sold them and brought more
stuff.. I just enjoyed the process of making the clocks.. Move on another 4
years, I now get to make them for a living, which I am so lucky to be able
to do :)