Bottom line: Keep the current as low as possible, and limit the inrush
current.

I've done a fair amount of research on extending filament life for a
project I'm working on. After a lot of tradeoffs and analysis, the best
solution for me was to use a *higher* operating voltage and add series
resistance. This reduced the peak inrush current, was the simplest design,
and the added energy cost vs a "perfect" constant current source was less
than the circuit cost for the regulator. This project uses 6 tubes, and
each tube has it's own filament fuse, and an FPGA to monitor the condition
of the fuse, filament, and the dropping resistor. I can also measure the
filament current on 2 tubes the an onboard A/D converter.

Here's a technical paper on extending the filament life of expensive
transmitter tubes, and inrush current was the #1 killer. Reducing the
filament current even a few percent resulted in much longer lifetime. See
https://www.photonis.com/uploads/literature/pt/Voice-of-America-Paper.pdf

>From my own measurements, a filament's resistance varies substantially when
cold vs. hot
The tube I'm working with varies from 2.8ohms (cold) to 7 ohms (hot). So
there's roughly 2.5X the surge current on this particular tube if you drive
it from a constant voltage.
The technical paper above reported variations of 10:1 for transmitter
tubes, and 12:1 for incandescent bulbs.

On another project, I have a #47 bulb driven by a current regulator. It
goes on/off 24 times per day, and has been running for 2 years now. And, it
was a used bulb so I have no idea how many times it has been cycled. But
it's still working. The current regulator definitely cause the bulb to
light more slowly.

If you want to read about a really long-lived filament, check out the story
of the lightbulb in a fire station in Livermore, CA:
http://www.centennialbulb.org/