Thanks! That's alot of positive information - it seems that numitrons are
indeed sturdy devices and they do not need that much protection as I
thought.
What is the frequency of the dimming PWM? I wonder how high it has to
achieve steady temperature due to thermal inertia of filaments.
PWM dimming would end up much cheaper than LED drivers, I was afraid that
it could affect the filaments life length, but now that I know that the
idea is well tested... I'll still think about a way to change the
brightness without directly PWMing the filaments, but it is really tempting.

I'll definitely use direct driving, for same reasons as you mentioned -
ability to use any old phone charger as power supply, to keep things
cheaper and more portable.

By the way - I stumbled upon this graph taken from DA-2300 datasheet:
Taken from this site: http://www.dos4ever.com/numitron/numitron.html
Note the logarithmic scale on tube life!