The high speed cycling makes a lot of sense when the "slot machine" effect
isn't desired.

I guess the harder question is how much a rapid cycling is enough.

>From the standpoint of creating a look and feel for the clock, I would
implement 20ms of cycling (10 x 2ms) done every second when second digit
transitions. This way the clock has a small flicker on every transition
(second, minute, hour transitions will all have 20ms of cycling). Keeping
flickering consistent and tied to the transitioning seconds digit makes the
flickering easier to explain to those that notice. The most reductive
answer to those that notice is "Nixie tubes are less stable than modern
displays this is why there is a little flicking". This leaves out cathode
poisoning as a concept and the fact that the flicking/highspeed cycling
used to reverse cathode poisoning. Yet the answer still gets across the
truth that because Nixie tubes are flawed there will be some flickering.

@Jeff

Generally if a tube has heavy cathode poisoning, over driving the tube with
2 to 3 times the rated current is often needed to try and recover / reverse
cathode poisoning in a nixie tube. Yet assuming a nixie tube doesn't have
any cathode poisoning the going theory is; if every cathode is used
regularly, cathode poisoning never should never occur in the first place.
Simply creating neon plasma around every cathode on a regular basis should
prevent cathode poisoning all together. What qualifies as "regularly" in
duration and frequency is a tricky question but doesn't change the theory.