Are they all the same date codes? Perhaps they are the fallout of a sorting
effort.

IN-18's at a garage sale? And a whole case! What are the odds?

As others mentioned, there are numerous ways to test such tubes. A while
back I bought a cheap handheld device for testing neon sign tubes. Works
good for nixies too, although it does seem to have destroyed the decimal
points on a couple of IN-14's. After that I never touch the pins directly
any more, just the glass.

Terry