How much voltage does the nixie tester generate ? I'm hoping it's closer to
170V, and you just have a batch of tubes that need a few more volts to
ionize.

That said, I have an IN-18 on my desk here at work, which is dead. There
are no visible signs of damage, and none of the cathodes glow, even at 300+
volts. It also does not respond to my plasma globe. I concluded that it
somehow de-gassed around the pins because the nib is intact. There is no
visible date-code; no OTK stamp. Just the CCCP and NH-18 markings.

The surface corrosion on the pins isn't necessarily a problem; most of the
IN-18's I have were manufactured in 1989, and have very soft pins (easily
bent) with surface corrosion, which I did not attempt to remove. I have
worried that over time the corrosion would creep under the glass-seal, and
cause micro-cracks leading to gas leaks. So far, that has not happened.