On Wednesday, September 5, 2018 at 7:50:55 AM UTC-7, Jim KO5V wrote:
>... My guess is that this is more than just adding in a circuit with a
battery - a frequency source may also be needed.

If you want an integrated solution instead of adding an outboard UPS,
consider this:

All my ideas are stolen from the Cal-Tex CT7001 clock/calendar chip.  They
recommend using a battery to keep the logic alive.

Their clever idea was to use the MUX oscillator to help keep time when the
mains were out.  You could emulate this idea by building a 60 Hz source
that was phase-locked to the line frequency (and very close to 60 Hz
free-running), possibly based on a NE565 or NE555.  This could also improve
the time keeping in normal operation, since the clock would be more immune
to the noise spikes on the power line (my clocks based on MM5531x chips,
TTL logic, and CMOS logic all ran slightly fast and I blame that on
counting excess noise pulses).