> On Apr 22, 2019, at 1:27 PM, Nick <gerbilparty...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> Nice idea - it'd be good if it could be done vis Google Groups, like the use
> of the shared Google Drive for the library section.

One of the main goals of this project should be to create a reference tool for
the community that won't unexpectedly disappear or become inaccessible one day.
I've seen that happen too many times. Given the checkered history of group
hosting, I'm extremely leery of creating archives using the host's built-in
features and storage unless there is an offline backup of everything. Just in
case.

I get what you're saying. I don't have a problem with using "free" solutions
from Google et al, such as hosting it online, as long as the whole thing is
safely backed up offline in multiple locations.

I may sound paranoid but I've seen too much information (photos, pdfs, videos
etc.) along with all the effort that went into creating and uploading it vanish
overnight more than once. In the case of my own document and software archives,
I store everything on external RAID1 drives. Each of them is in turn backed up
to two additional external drives, one of which is stored off-site. I also keep
bootable clones of my Mac and Windows system volumes. In the event of an
internal drive failure I can run off of an external SSD.

I've been saved by this system more than once.

> Is there a free Google product that'll do what you want?

Given the potential complexity of this type of database some free variant of
SQL would be a logical choice for authoring it. We have members with the skills
and motivation to develop it. The finished database would then be accessible to
all on the Web in some form. If Google or someone else has a free solution then
we should definitely take a close look at it.

Just my $0.02. Feel free to pile on.

Terry Bowman, KA4HJH
"The Mac Doctor"

"I've seen things you people wouldn't believe: attack ships on fire off the
shoulder of Orion... beams...in the dark in the Tannhauser Gate. All those
moments will be lost in time...like tears in the rain." — Roy Batty, Blade
Runner