Dreamhost is a great place, I have used them for years. They have a lot of
options for building web sites. As for databases I'll take them in the order od
Postgresql, Mysql or if I don't need the power of a server (90% case) sqlite
(www.sqlite3.org). The latter is very easy to use from within perl or python.

In all caes of a database, the issue ifs rarely the data (though if its complex
you do have to figure out lay it out), but in the entry of the data. Nobody
thinks about that until it's too late.

Not to start a flamewar, but mssql server, like oracle, is way over powered and
has the other side feature of being 90% complient on it's sql syntax. The other
10% you get to learn out the Microsoft way.

-joe