As far as I can tell, GPIB is pretty simple: just a matter of controlling
16 TTL-level signals thru the GPIO pins of your favorite microcontroller,
and the commands themselves are just strings of text characters. The GPIB
cables are pretty cheap at surplus stores, so this should be a rather cheap
and not very complex project.

I've considered doing this from one of my Raspberry Pi systems, for example
the octoprint controller for my 3D printer, because all of the GPIO pins
are available. Just too busy right now to take this concept to reality.