Hi Bill,

I *REALLY* think an off the shelf USB-GPIB interface on a reasonably
current computer will be the way to go. There's so much more involved than
just the hardware interface! Having a system where the various software and
hardware pieces play well together is no small accomplishment. I'll also
mention that network accessed instruments are also in the mix... One
project I was recently working on used LAN access to a R&S instrument with
a USB-GPIB link to a couple of HP instruments... One 82357x interface with
the GPIB instruments daisy chained off that one port.

Off all the places where I would choose to put my efforts, duplicating the
Keysight and R&S tools would not be my first choice! Then again, these are
tools of my trade and my employers would show me the door if I wasn't
finding efficient ways to accomplish goals. Your objectives and choices for
a hobby will be less constrained!

The Keysight 82357A/B USB-GPIB interface referenced above is a known good
solution. I have multiple copies at work and here at home... and have been
using them for years!

Again, bets regards,
Bob