Richard,
A million years ago, I designed a multiplexed Nixie clock using a 74141
cathode driver and two transistors per anode. It worked well.
Here's the user manual, with the schematic at the end.
http://www.cathodecorner.com/nc620akitman.pdf
The only caveat is that capacitance in the Nixie tube wiring will cause
ghosting which is dealt with by adding a time delay between turning off the
cathode select and anode select, then turning on the next anode.
I didn't need any pull-mid resistors or other complications.
You can replace the 74141 with a couple SN75468 100V transistor arrays for
the cathode drivers.