I mean to try this on a device I'm building, but won't an H-bridge driver
do ?

It will provide an average potential of half the drive voltage giving the
ability to place a grid or anode at a small negative potential, and if the
filament requirement is less than the easy 5V it can be reduced using PWM
by floating the H-bridge. Higher or lower average acceleration voltages can
be accommodated by setting both ends of the filament to 0 or 5 during the
off-period
.