Many ways to skin a cat!

I use the RTC and it's 1Hz output for normal operation. And then at 3am I
use a GPS (which actually is an ESP-01) to connect NTP and send a fake GPS
message which then syncs the RTC.

The only niggle is DST on the RTC and the GPS sides... I operate with a DST
rule and the RTC so the clock would continue to run correctly even if a
zombie apocalypse took out the NTP infrastructure. (I actually have a RPi
on my local network which amongst other things provides NTP to the local
network)

Regards