I usually drive the filaments non-multiplexed from 74HC595 shift registers
(technically slightly out of spec, but have always worked fine), and use
the output enable line to PWM all of the displays at once for brightness
control.  I run a separate PWM on each filament that's off, keeping it warm
to just below the level of visibility.

I use a six entry look-up table for the PWM values, to create subjectively
similar steps in brightness.  Most people seem to run my clocks at level 3
or 4 (10/32 or 18/32 duty cycle, respectively). at level 6 (100% duty
cycle), the tubes see about 4.3 volts due to the drop across the -595
outputs.

I was a regular at Burning Man for quite a few years, but last went in
2017.  Now that it's happening again, I think we'll go back next year.
Glad you had a great time!
~~
Mark Moulding