I’ve had some of these tubes that require a higher than normal voltage to
even trigger. Most people drive nixies at 170V, but this can be a marginal
trigger voltage for some tubes and completely insufficient for others such
as the GR10G https://www.nixies.us/bwg_gallery/gr10g/

Shining light on a tube ionizes the gas inside, the brighter the light, the
more ions. Tubes used in dark environments can take longer to light up.
Once they are lit, the number of free ions in the gas is usually enough to
keep it going. Several approaches were used to circumvent this. Some tubes
have an extra cathode driven with a very low current that is always on.
Some tubes were doped with Krypton 85, a radioactive gas,
e.g. https://www.nixies.us/bwg_gallery/122p224/