Hi Samir,
Read the this question (very similar to yours). In short, if you were runnning a mail server on the web server port, I dont *think* that the web server plugins will be run at all (though, as you noted, the mail server plugins will be run).
Regards,
Antony
On Thu, Feb 19, 2004 at 03:28:59AM -0800, alan donald wrote:
> I am a bit confused. I dont seem to understand how
> nessus is knowing which application is running.
> Since
> it has to know this information in order to launch
> an
> exploit.
>
> Is it just matching a banner
> OR
> does it have a database of responses for each
> application like maybe nmap does.
> OR
> It is fingerprinting the application in some other
> way.
It recognizes the application based on the banner and/or error message
replied to the request it sent. find_services.nes has been doing that
for a couple of years now.
-- Renaud
_______________________________________________
Samir Kelekar <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> I am a bit confused. I dont seem to understand how
> nessus is knowing which application is running.
> Since
> it has to know this information in order to launch
> an
> exploit.
>
> Is it just matching a banner
> OR
> does it have a database of responses for each
> application like maybe nmap does.
> OR
> It is fingerprinting the application in some other
> way.
It recognizes the application based on the banner and/or error message
replied to the request it sent. find_services.nes has been doing that
for a couple of years now.
-- Renaud
_______________________________________________
Samir Kelekar <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
Hi:I have a question concerning how nessus runs when services are not running on their standardports.For instance, if I were to run an smtp server on port 80, and no http server at all.I note that the find_services.nasl plugin will be first run and it will fill up the kb item concerningsmtp to 80. The item concerning http will not be filled.Now, the plugins corresponding to smtp will run properly, since they will be run on theport corresponding to the kb item for smtp. However, what will happen to the plugins correspondingto http?Since the kb item corresponding to http is not filled, will these plugins assume that http runsat the default port, that is 80, and even these plugins will be run on the service (in this case smtp)that runs on port 80?Appreciate a clarification.regards,Samir KelekarTeknotrends SoftwareBangalore_______________________________________________
Nessus mailing list
[EMAIL PROTECTED]
http://mail.nessus.org/mailman/listinfo/nessus
Find local movie times and trailers on Yahoo! Movies.
_______________________________________________ Nessus mailing list [EMAIL PROTECTED] http://mail.nessus.org/mailman/listinfo/nessus
