I must be doing something wrong...

I made the modification below as you describe to the
update-nessus-plugins script, and executed it as "root".  I have also
verified that all the required perl modules are installed.

 perl -T /opt/nessus/auto/update-nessus-plugins -bps >
/home/cashby/plugin-report.txt

When finished i didn't receive any errors and the output was written
to a txt file as configured.  Below is what was recorded:

No errors found parsing new / changed plugins.
Backup of '/opt/nessus/lib/nessus/plugins' available as
'/tmp/plugins-pre-20081210-120950.tar.gz'.
*******

This has happened before, as the plugins have been successfully
updated.  I will run this script later tonight, tomorrow morning
hoping for some new plugins to be available.  Hopefully all the issues
are worked out and i can get a report generated...

thanks for all your help

ashby